Monday 29 August 2011

Ok ok so I was not a normal child



While sitting calmly in the office not so long ago browsing the web, i came across some rather amusing articles about children and the things they do that either amuse or greatly frustrate parents. I remembered some of the things i did and could not see the harm in sharing hence the post. I was an exciting child, the James bond of children if you will, swinging from vines and home made devices to almost burning down the compound (yes compound not house) more than once. phew, if i have kids... *shudders* lord help us all.

So now when I was a child I used to imagine that if I put my finger on a place in a map, in the real world a large finger would break through the atmosphere and cover the city causing untold chaos and damage. Ha. I treated maps with such respect haha.

When I was younger I was convinced that my family consisted of secret ninjas because all the TV shows I watched had something like super powers, vampires or something surreal therefore my logical conclusion was that they were keeping it from me. (sneaky and very ninja like, bows after clang).

As a child I knew for a fact that clouds were made of snow which was this glorious substance that I only saw on tv. In my understanding, playing in snow was the pinnacle of urbanization. So I asked my aunt to scoop me a handful on her next flight and put it in a flask for me so I would experience it. Imagine my disappointment whenever she came empty handed. Her lack of effort was inexcusable at that point. I was inconsolable.

I attempted to make a ... Uh jet plane as a kid with nails, planks of wood, wheels from a toy car and a motor from a remodeled (read ripped apart) remote control car. Sigh, always a dreamer.

I then lowered my ambitions and turned my nailed boards into a go kart of sorts with some unpropotionally small LEGO wheels. It didn't go far before the wheels sourced other positions. Fortunately there is no youtube video recording of my awesomeness as an inventor and I did not live near a steep slope.

just look at the adrenalin, exciting eh?

  I attempted once again to fly off the garage roof with an umbrella much to my father’s chagrin. After a brief moment of being suspended before the umbrella gave way, I believed I had seen the light and decided that a glider was definitely the way to go.

I fashioned a makeshift glider from bits of a plastic um…doll house my mum bought us (4 sons, why she did that lord knows) then launched myself off the garage roof once more clutching my rickety contraption with such zeal that I was almost powering the thing with sheer will. Needless to say, I was not successful as I have no nobel peace prize and did not replace macgyver. Fun times though.

Now they are flooding back faster than i can write, i will expound later, actual work and lack of enough day in my hours conspire against me. Till next time, be well.

pictures from google

6 comments:

  1. Wow Shaun, you had the makings of a great inventor/person. What happened? lol
    p.s. I'm waiting for the one where you confess biting other kids in your nursery school. I think I still have a mark on my arm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel! whatever. these perpetuated exaggerations that you are peddling are poisonous to my sterling reputation. i used to nip bad behaviour in the bud, get it right :-). I still invent, my attention has shifted to inventing Ass whoopings for you in FIFA and fun stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He!he!he!Well, you were not the only abnormal kid.I though the clouds were a clean version of snails and was always afraid that the slime, clean but still slime, would drop on my head if and when the sun came out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ akatenje haha, that sounds so logical and, feasible, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a secret ninja; a skydiving ninja. There was this huge tree outside my room, I'd climb out my room onto a branch and parachute down with a bedsheet. And this time I was Jackie Chan and General Ali's kid was the bad guy, and I totally broke the kid's nose. The blood was so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ sheblossoms Sky diving ninja?? right up my alley :-). i like the bedsheet idea, with a couple of tweaks, it just could work. You broke a kids nose, haha, thats G.

    ReplyDelete

Post Categories

awesome (22) funny (22) life (21) humour (20) eye opening (19) happiness (16) cool (14) men (13) love (12) girls (7) decisions (5) future (5) relationships (4) nairobi (3) kids (2) Review (1) business (1) politics (1) storymoja (1) world peace (1)